Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 12 (Sunday) and Day 13 (Monday)

Well...
Sunday was dress up your RA day.

This activity has been on my students' minds for a few days now. They have been buying make-up and nail polish in anticipation, hoping to turn me into a girl for the "show".

I made it clear that I would only agree to them if one of the kids would agree to do it with me. I figured, either they'll be too chicken to the idea of dressing themselves up, or they'll get to embarrass themselves with me and all will be good and fun.

To my surprise, not one, but two of my residents ended up walking the runway with me in our glorious pink and blue nail polish and poorly applied lipstick. They went nuts two hours before the activity was even supposed to start and were all painted up and ready to go half an hour before we were supposed to gather to be explained what to do. Pictures will come soon, hopefully. Maybe? Not sure if I can add pictures of the students on here.

Regardless, it was pretty fun and was a great way to end a fun Sunday. Other details from that day were pottery painting (which was awesome and the only afternoon activity on Sunday that got to happen because a thunderstorm advisory closed down the outdoor activity planned for other kids) and parent visitations. Those were also interesting because I was left with just one student who didn't leave for a few hours with his family and all he did was homework and all I did was Facebook.

Today had only a couple small details which you may find amusing. The first is waste-related.

I walked in to the bathroom this afternoon and found that the middle stall had been...abused. There was a nice chunk of poop on the ground next to the toilet, a smear on the front of the seat, and a sizable brown log swimming quietly in the bowl, unflushed and smelly, just for my personal viewing pleasure.

We ended up getting a cleanup crew to remove the mess, but it left me feeling thoroughly disgusted.

Also, I've been observing a problematic...trend in my group. I am having a hard time finding ways of integrating everyone together to play games when homework time is done. This leaves the kids to their own devices, where they naturally come up with inane and annoying games to play and fight over, like the "run around shooting nerf guns and screaming because we can" game. Or the "argue about which card game to play that no one knows how to play because we can" game. Or the "lets watch poorly edited Youtube videos about video games that annoy Kevin because we can" game.

I need some more games. They are getting tired of Mafia and I'm fresh out of ideas. Except for maybe one game that I can try tomorrow outside. But if any readers have any ideas for group games to play that don't require much movement/space, let me know. And no, the quiet game doesn't count. Mostly because I make them play that game for homework time which is hard enough to enforce.

Thats all for tonight, folks. Also, naps are glorious.

Signing off,
Kevin

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, Sounds like you are having a blast. Try games such as shuffle your buns, bunny bunny, human knot, and other simplistic games. head up 7 up? maybe
    Well good luck and keep on pressing!
    Alex Tielker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ninja. ON THE FURNITURE. And Phase 10. god I love that game.

    ReplyDelete