So I said yesterday was the first real day of camp.
I guess I was kind of wrong.
Yesterday was move in day for the kids. They show up, hear the rules, and then go to bed.
Today was most certainly the first real day of camp. We had to send kids to classes, eat lunch with them, take them to activities, eat dinner with them, more activities, group meetings, sending off to bed.
What a chaotic first day of class.
I don't think it was supposed to be this bad. And by bad I mean chaotic and crazy and insane.
First, we have a space issue. What I mean is that we have two full camps of 300 kids (for two different age groups) all packed into a small square of dorms due to construction which imposes limitations on where we can house kids and where they can be.
Second, we have a breakfast issue. What I mean is that breakfast goes from 7:30 to 8. And when 600 kids try to all go to breakfast at once, the line becomes 20 minutes long, some people don't get to eat without being obscenely late to class immediately after, and the cafeteria runs out of food regularly.
Third, we had communication issues. As in, when children go missing, no one knows who to call or what to do. So we spent an hour and a half after all the kids were in class figuring out that the 6 people unaccounted for were all fine and in classes or weren't real people enrolled in the camp. Yay organization!
Forth, at lunch, as I walked past one of the major buildings that houses our classes, I saw several cop cars, two ambulances, and three firetrucks go to the building. We later discovered that the entire building had to be evacuated due to a major electrical malfunction. No one was hurt, but it add to the stress of students, parents, and us camp workers when all the kids had to leave class a half hour early.
All combined, first day was crazy and stressful. Disorganized chaos. Which is why I waited until after I got my sleep to post this.
Signing out,
Kevin
No comments:
Post a Comment