Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 0


It's day zero because camp training doesn't start until tomorrow (June 20), but I have to fly out today due to the fact that move in and training are on the same day and no reasonably priced plane ticket to Chicago can get me there in time. 

Where to start? I am a little intimidated by this job, to begin. Although everyone whom I discuss this matter with tells me I will be fine, it doesn't change my initial uncertainty. For those who don't yet know, I'm going to be an RA for what I've been calling nerd camp. It's basically a camp for smart, talented kids to learn how to do cool stuff and be around other nerds and dorks. I can appreciate that. I've never been much for babysitting, though, and I lose patience with pre-teen shenaniganery very fast, and I'm RA'ing for 4 – 6 graders. We'll see how this goes. If all goes well, I should emerge from the camp unscathed, perhaps even with a smile. If the camp goes south…well, I can't complain too much. The pay will be good, so, if all else fails, I can hopefully just learn to worship money enough to not care about the beatings camp will dole out to me.

Don't get me wrong. I am looking forward to camp. I'm looking forward to having work to do and being around people again. I'm looking forward to being in Chicago and looking forward to visits from my girlfriend. I'm looking forward to doing the RA duty, but still. Kinda nervous. I had a panic moment yesterday when I realized I wouldn't be bringing any fun games or unique special items that all the cool RA's bring. I have to fly in with a suitcase full of clothes and a carry-on with a pillow, blanket, and sheets. Not exactly the most glamorous haul to a camp where I have to entertain young folks. But I suppose my personality will have to do. Sigh. *Wistful narcissism* It always has to be my personality, doesn't it?
I'm in the wonderful Spokane airport typing this up, waiting until I don't have to pay Boingo for internet before posting. At least the toilet paper is 2-ply.

Signing off-
Kevin

P.S. Apparently I get 20 complimentary minutes of glorious internet connection with Boingo here at GEG. My favorite part was when it didn't work and I stayed offline for 20 minutes.
Also Boingo is a glorious name for anything not an ISP for wifi hotspots in random airports.
P.P.S. Coolest thing happened. I got free internet on the plane, just not in the airport where the plane was docked. I guess that works.

2 comments:

  1. Who did you fly with? Jet Blue is awesome, and their prices are generally the best for me to fly from home to school when booked in advance, but there are really no creature comforts other than many TV channels and nice flight attendants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flew with delta because I used expedia because Jet Blue does not do spokane to chicago because its spokane and dumb.

      Delete