Day 1 -
Today has been exhausting. Lots of driving, listening, packet reading, stressing. As it turns out, one bears lots of responsibilities when entrusted with other people's children. I guess I didn't give that whole idea as much thought as I should have. It takes me some mental fortitude to ease myself away from the impulse to worry and doubt my abilities to stay on top of my work duties.
Sometimes, my fellow camp RA's worry me. They worry me in the sense that I'm not sure if I can really be sociable with them and I worry I'll struggle in relating with them. I'm sure work and the campers will all help bring us together, but preliminary feelings suggest a challenge for me. I don't really think it'll be an impossible burden, but just something I wasn't expecting to feel after day 1. Maybe I'm just caught up in all the hubbub and rules of this place. And boy are there a lot of them. I know I'll have to watch out and make sure the content of this very blog doesn't violate work rules, and will be doing my best to give you, reader, my personal feelings about myself and my work, and not delve into the gossip or personal lives of the campers I'm working with. The idea of being an RA in general seems foreign to me. Even when applying for this job, I cited coaching experience at Ballard to justify my hire. But coaching is a lot different than being an RA. Here's hoping I stand up to the trials and tribulations of today and emerge relatively unscathed.
I probably should get going. I have door decorations to do. If you have ideas on a fun door decoration theme, let me know.
Signing off,
Kevin
No comments:
Post a Comment